Being diligent about your aftercare will help your skin heal properly and give you better results. For the first day and week after your procedure, you will want to remember AWM (Absorb, Wash, Moisturize), and for the first 10 days, you should take care to follow the showering instructions.
Absorb (Day of treatment)
On the day of your appointment, after your microblading procedure is complete, you will notice lymph fluid oozing from the treatment area. Every five minutes, gently blot the area with a clean tissue to absorb the excess lymph fluid. You should continue this for the full day until the oozing has stopped. Removing this fluid will prevent hardening of the lymph.
Wash (Days 1 through 7)
Gently wash your eyebrows daily, both morning and night, to remove bacteria and dead skin. (Don't worry — this does not remove the pigment!)
- Use water and an antibacterial soap, like Dial, Cetaphil or Neutrogena.
- To gently cleanse, use your fingertips and a very light touch to rub the area in a smooth motion for 10 seconds.
- Rinse with water, ensuring that all soap is rinsed away.
- To dry, gently pat with a clean tissue. Do NOT use any cleansing products containing acids — glycolic, lactic or AHA — or any exfoliants.
Moisturize (Days 1 through 7)
Moisturize the area with your aftercare ointment morning and night after gently washing and drying.
- Apply a small amount of aftercare ointment to a cotton swab, limiting the amount of ointment to the size of a grain of rice.
- Using the cotton swap, spread the ointment across the treated area.
- The ointment should barely be noticeable on the skin. Do not to apply too much as this will suffocate your skin and delay healing.
- Never apply the ointment while the area is wet or damp.
Showering (Days 1 through 10)
You will want to avoid long, hot showers during the first 10 days after your procedure.
- Limit your showers to five minutes so you do not create too much steam.
- Keep your face out of the water while you wash your body.
- Then, at the end of your shower, wash your hair.
- Your face should only be getting wet at the very end of your shower. Avoid excessive rinsing and hot water on the treated area.
Other Important Aftercare Tips
In addition to following the AWM and showering protocol, keep these extra tips in mind to help with a smooth and easy recovery.
- Use a fresh pillowcase
- Let any scabbing or dry skin naturally exfoliate away
- Do not rub, pick or scratch the treated area, as this can cause scarring or loss of color
- Avoid topical makeup, including sunscreen, on the area
- Avoid hot, sweaty exercise for one week
- Avoid sleeping on your face for the first 10 days
- Avoid swimming and hot tubs for the first 10 days
- Do not have facials, botox, chemical treatments or microdermabrasion for four weeks
- Avoid direct sun exposure or tanning for four weeks after your procedure; wear a hat when you’re outdoors